This is a quick help for MediaWiki's common features used in CPKB articles
- This article contains a quick help for creating and editing articles on CPKB wiki. For the complete MediaWiki help, visit http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents webpage
- You can always click on Edit / View Source tab to view the MediaWiki-code of an article to see how to format text.
- For MediaWiki sandbox visit http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sandbox webpage.
- Before creating or editing articles please read our Website policy!
How to ...
Create new article
The easiest way to create articles in MediaWiki is to type the desired name of the article you want to create in the top right search box, then press "Go". On the next page click on "Create the page "xyz" on this wiki!".
Or You can create an interwiki link to the article You want to create, and following that link You will be redirected to the edit page of the new article.
Link to wiki-pages
Put [[ before and ]] after the name of the article like this: [[article name]]. This will make an inner wiki link of the words between the brackets. If You would like to change the name of the wiki link use this: [[Dog|Canine]]. The name of the link will be "Canine" which will be a wiki-link to the "Dog" article.
Link to external web pages
Just type the whole webaddress and the MediaWiki engine will convert it to external link.
If You would like to rename the external link, use single brackets before and after the link and write the chosen link name after the weblink like this:
[http://www.cpkb.org/ Cell Phone Knowledge Base]
which will look like this: Cell Phone Knowledge Base.
Just add [[Category:Nameofthecategory]] to the article, and the page will added to that category. This could be added anywhere in the article, but usually is added to the very bottom of the page.
Create sections in articles
Type == or === or ==== before and after the name of the section. Like this:
== Higher level section name == === Lower level section name === ==== Lower level section name ====
The sections and the table of contents will be automatically created.
Create bulleted or numbered list
Start the line with * for creating bullet-list and start the line with # for creating ordered list like:
* First list item
* Second list item
Make the text bold
Insert ''' before and after the text You want to make bold.
Make the text italic
Insert '' before and after the text You want to make italic.
Make the text bold and italic
Insert ''''' before and after the text You want to make bold and italic.
Create multi column list
Use CSS3's column features:
Before the bulleted list insert this:
After the list insert this:
That will make a 3 column list.
Or use wiki-tables to create columns.
1. Log in with your account.
2. Go to Upload file page where You can upload pictures (and other files)
3. Create a link to the picture from an article by including:
Create image thumbnails
Upload the image, then use this to put thumbnail on articles:
[[Image:Image_name.jpg|thumb|Comment of the image]]
Create image gallery
<gallery caption="Name of the gallery" perrow=7> File:Image01.jpg|Text1 File:Image02.jpg|Text2 </gallery>
Insert a line break
Use the standard HTML line break:
- Mediawiki (Wikipedia and Beyond); Author: Daniel J. Barrett
- MediaWiki 1.1 Beginner's Guide; Author: Mizanur Rahman
- MediaWiki Administrators' Tutorial Guide - Install, manage, and customize your MediaWiki installation; Author: Mizanur Rahman
- Wikipedia - The Missing Manual; Author
- John Broughton : http://www.amazon.com/Wikipedia-Missing-Manual-John-Broughton/dp/0596515162/